I started writing this post on Wednesday, because if I try to put off all my thoughts until Sunday, it just never gets written!
Now that weâ€™ve hit the mid-point of the year, I realized that I needed to weed out some of my challenges. Hereâ€™s whatâ€™s going on with them:
- The Naming Conventions Challenge – My deadline for this actually passed back in February, and I continue to hover at 80% completed. So itâ€™s time to call this one done.
- Book Awards II Challenge – This one finished June 1, and I only got 4 of the 10 read, and I have too many review books to read to expect that Iâ€™m going to get to the other 6 anytime soon. Another one done.
- Spring Reading Thing 2009 – Iâ€™m a little torn about this one. Technically, Iâ€™ve read more than enough books to read my goal for this challenge, but I havenâ€™t read the specific books I picked out. So, do I substitute? I donâ€™t know that itâ€™s really in the spirit of the challenge.
- The Countdown Challenge – Iâ€™m right on track here! I only have three books left, and I have until September to read them.
- The Genre Challenge – 2 books and about 4 months left. No problem!
- 9 for 09 Challenge – Iâ€™ve probably technically completed this one, I just need to decide what books to assign to the last three categories.
- 100+ Reading Challenge, 1st in a Series Challenge, 2nds Challenge , The 999 Challenge, A-Z 2009 Challenge, Read Your Own Books Challenge, Support Your Local Library Challenge & Whatâ€™s in a Name Challenge – On track!
- 2009 ARC Reading Challenge, 2009 Audiobook Challenge, 2009 eBook Challenge & 2009 Pub Challenge – All finished! I just need to write my wrap-up posts.
- Daring Book Challenge – Iâ€™ve found that Iâ€™ve grown kinda bored with this one. Iâ€™ve enjoyed going back and reading these great childrenâ€™s books, but Iâ€™m just not going to get them all read. Iâ€™m removing this from the active challenge list, but Iâ€™ll probably continue to pick up one of these books from time to time.
Did not finishes
Unusually, I had a couple of books I didn’t finish recently. It’s not very often that I give one up, but it’s getting easier and easier as my TBR pile grows. The first book I didn’t finish was Jacob by Jacquelyn Frank. The ebook had been languishing on my phone for more than a couple of weeks, and I just wasn’t getting into it. It’s the first book in a series, but there’s a lot of stuff in the first couple of chapters that made me feel like I was missing a lot of back story. So, that’s one paranormal series I won’t be pursuing.
The second book I didn’t finish was Playing Dead by Allison Brennan. I went into this book knowing it was the third of a trilogy and I would probably be missing some back story, so I tried to cut it a little more slack. But Brennan just doesn’t work for me. I find her leading ladies to be cold and unemotional and I just can’t connect with them. I gave a very lukewarm review to the first in her Prey series, so I think this is my last shot at reading her.
Have I mentioned that I’m trying to read 6 or 7 books at the same time? I think I’m really losing my mind. I’ve got my regular 3 read rotation… book-phone-audio… but in addition to those I’m trying to squeeze in On Writing, Doomed Queens (I’m reading a couple of queens a night before bed), and The Ultimate Weight Loss Solution (yes, Dr. Phil). Oh yeah, and Plot & Structure. It’s all a leeeeeeeeetle bit much. I need fewer hobbies.